Did you know…
- lighting accounts for up to 15% of your electricity bill?
- that by replacing normal bulbs with energy efficient ones can save you up to 70% on the cost of lighting?
- up to a third of your household heat will escape through an uninsulated loft?
- double-glazing can save you money by reducing heat lost through your windows by half?
Today’s tips (courtesy of One Planet Living) involve changing your habits in the home.
One Planet Living’s 10 Top Tips for Changing What We Do In the Home to Help the Earth
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use
- Invest in cavity wall and loft insulation can lower your bills
- Use energy efficient lights and appliances – they make a huge difference to your electricity bill
- Switching to a green tariff is now easier than ever
- Insulating the hot water tank and lagging hot water pipes will cut down on wasted energy and save you money
- Turning down the thermostat by just one degree will still leave you feeling warm and comfortable, but could cut your energy bills by as much as 10%
- Draught-proofing your home and drawing your curtains at night is a simple yet effective way to cut costs
- Fit a water meter and a flush saver and see the difference it makes to your water bill
- Collect rainwater in a barrel and use it to water the lawn
- Encourage wildlife by leaving a wild area in your garden
Interested in doing more to help? Click here to take the OnePlanet Challenge!
|Take the One Planet Challenge|
Their calculator will measure your ecological footprint and carbon emissions and provide you with a personalized action plan packed with practical things you can do to achieve One Planet Living and make it easier for you to shrink your footprint.