Join Monarch's Kevin Samson on Sunday, June 7th, 2015, for the 20th Annual Gutsy Walk and become part of Canada’s largest community event committed to raising funds for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
By participating or sponsoring a loved one, you can show those living with Crohn’s and colitis they are not alone. (You can spot Kevin and his wife Wendy at the 6 second mark of the video.)
Kevin would like to thank everyone at Monarch who, as a group, donated $865.
Some facts about from GutsyWalk.ca:
- Gutsy Walk started as the Heel 'n' Wheel-a-Thon in 1996 in 24 communities and has since grown to 60+ communities; $29 million in funds raised to date.
- Over the past 19 years, with the support of thousands of dedicated volunteers and participants, Gutsy Walk has grown from raising $3.1 to $3.2 million per year for education and research.
- Through the fundraising efforts of Gutsy Walk participants, there are more researchers hard at work in Canada which includes funding more than 36 promising research projects in the past year.
Some facts about Crohn’s and Colitis Canada:
- 1 in every 150 Canadians is living with Crohn’s and colitis – a rate that ranks in the highest worldwide.
- Families new to Canada are developing Crohn’s and colitis for the first time – often within the first generation.
- Most alarming, the number of new cases of Crohn’s disease in Canadian children has almost doubled since 1995.
- Nearly 250,000 Canadians are affected by Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is one of the leading funders of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis research in the world – having invested over $88 million in world-class research projects and initiatives