|Wendy and Kevin Samson|
Some facts about Crohn’s and Colitis Canada:
- 1 in every 150 Canadians is living with Crohn’s and colitis – a rate that ranks in the highest worldwide.
- Families new to Canada are developing Crohn’s and colitis for the first time – often within the first generation.
- Most alarming, the number of new cases of Crohn’s disease in Canadian children has almost doubled since 1995.
- Over 233,000 Canadians are affected by Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is one of the leading funders of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis research in the world – having invested over $82 million in world class projects and initiatives.
- Gutsy Walk started as the Heel 'n' Wheel-a-Thon in 1996 in 24 communities and has since grown to 60+ communities; $26 million in funds raised to date.
- Over the past 18 years, with the support of thousands of dedicated volunteers and participants, Gutsy Walk has grown from raising $280,000 to $2.9 million per year for education and research.
- Through the fundraising efforts of Gutsy Walk participants, there are more researchers hard at work in Canada which includes funding more than 36 promising research projects in the past year.
Monarch Kitchen and Bath Centre is proud to donate to this worthy cause. For more information on how you can donate or volunteer your time, visit www.gutsywalk.ca.
Source: Crohn's and Colitis Canada and Gutsy Walk facts courtesy of gutsywalk.ca.